- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Place carrots into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the melted butter until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt. Whisk flour into onion mixture until smooth; cook, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is a paste-like consistency and light brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium; gradually stream milk into flour mixture until thick and bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Whisk Cheddar cheese, about 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring until cheese melts each time before adding more, forming a smooth sauce, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in mustard powder, white pepper, celery seed, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour sauce over carrots and toss to coat; transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter and bread crumbs together in a bowl until well coated; sprinkle over carrot mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until sauce is bubbling and topping is browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cook’s Note:You can make the carrots and sauce ahead of time and refrigerate after tossing together in the casserole dish. Cover the dish and refrigerate. Remove from oven 10 to 20 minutes before baking in the preheated oven. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture just before baking for 40 to 50 minutes.
You are looking for information, articles, knowledge about the topic Carrots Scalloped on internet, you do not find the information you need! Here are the best content compiled and compiled by the smartinvestplan.com team, along with other related topics such as: Recipe.
Related videos about Carrots Scalloped