What Are Pfeffernusse Cookies?Pfeffernusse are German spice cookies. “Pfeffernusse” translates to “peppernuts,” which makes sense — these cookies are flavored with a cozy blend of warm spices, including black pepper. They also traditionally contain anise.
Pfeffernusse IngredientsThese are the ingredients you’ll need to this traditional pfeffernusse cookie recipe at home:· Molasses and honey: These super sweet pfeffernusse cookies start with a blend of molasses and honey.
· Shortening and margarine: This recipe calls for shortening and margarine instead of butter, as butter tends to spread (we want these cookies to rise as high as possible).
· Eggs: Two large eggs lend moisture and help bind the cookie dough together.
· Flour: All-purpose flour gives the cookies structure.
· Sugars: You’ll need a blend of white and brown sugars for this cozy pfeffernusse cookie recipe.
· Anise extract: Two teaspoons of anise extract give the cookies an even more complex flavor.
· Spices: These pfeffernusse cookies are spiced with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and black pepper.
· Baking soda: Baking soda acts as a leavener, which means it helps the cookie dough rise.
· Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavor of the cookies without making them taste salty.
How to Make Pfeffernusse CookiesYou’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below — but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make pfeffernusse:
2. Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl, then add the wet mixture. Chill.
3. Roll the dough into balls.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until firm. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
How to Store Pfeffernusse CookiesAllow the cookies to cool completely. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.
Can You Freeze Pfeffernusse Cookies?Yes, you can freeze pfeffernusse! But it’s best to freeze the cookie dough balls before baking. When you’re ready to eat, just bake them according to the recipe and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Allrecipes Community Tips and Praise“Made this exactly as the recipe calls for and these cookies were amazing,” raves Pingpong. “Everyone who had them loved them and no wonder — the blend of spices blooms in your mouth very nicely.”“These cookies are delicious and, as others have noted, better the next day,” according to sharon-lynn. “Just a note: Do not boil the honey/molasses/sugar for too long. I did and it cooled to a hard ball…had to toss and start over!”“I am happy with the results of this recipe,” says Ruth Meadows. “I have never heard of it, but was intrigued by the ingredients. When I combined the wet and dry ingredients, it did not look like it was going to work and then *poof* everything came together.”Editorial contributions by Corey Williams
You are looking for information, articles, knowledge about the topic Cookies Pfeffernusse on internet, you do not find the information you need! Here are the best content compiled and compiled by the smartinvestplan.com team, along with other related topics such as: Recipe.
Related videos about Cookies Pfeffernusse