- Heat butter in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until translucent, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle onions with sugar; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are soft and caramelized, at least 30 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir sherry into onion mixture; scrape the bottom to dissolve the small bits of browned food. Transfer onions into a slow cooker and pour in beef broth. Season with sea salt; stir in thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven broiler about 10 minutes before serving. Set an oven rack about 8 inches from the heat source.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet; broil until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Lightly toss Gruyere, Emmental, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses in a bowl. Fill oven-safe soup crocks 3/4 full with onion soup and float a bread slice in each bowl. Top each with about 2 tablespoons cheese mixture.
- Place filled bowls onto a baking sheet and broil until cheese topping is lightly browned and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
Michael Di Roma
TipsIf you like, put all the soup components — soup, toasted bread, and cheese mixture — out on the table and let people make their soup! This seems to be the favored method when I host a craft night. People can make their own decisions about what they want in or on their soup!
You are looking for information, articles, knowledge about the topic French Onion Soup in the Slow Cooker on internet, you do not find the information you need! Here are the best content compiled and compiled by the smartinvestplan.com team, along with other related topics such as: Recipe.
Related videos about French Onion Soup in the Slow Cooker