- Heat 1 quart vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Whisk buttermilk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and eggs in a bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Fold buttermilk mixture, onion, and green onions into cornmeal mixture until just mixed.
- Drop 6 to 8 tablespoon-sized balls of batter into the hot oil; fry until each hush puppy is golden brown, turning the hush puppies to cook evenly, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove hush puppies with a slotted spoon and place on brown paper bags to drain. Repeat with any remaining batter.
- Transfer hush puppies to a baking sheet and keep warm in the preheated oven until ready to serve.
Cook’s Notes:Sugar makes a great hush puppy but it will make them brown faster. Be careful of your oil temperature and don’t make the hush puppies too large so they will cook through.If you would like to add corn, just fold in 1/4 cup canned or frozen corn.For a spicy option add 1 minced jalapeno pepper or 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
Editor’s Note:We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
You are looking for information, articles, knowledge about the topic Hush Puppies in Buttermilk on internet, you do not find the information you need! Here are the best content compiled and compiled by the smartinvestplan.com team, along with other related topics such as: Recipe.
Related videos about Hush Puppies in Buttermilk