Are you looking for a delightful dessert that combines the goodness of oats, the tartness of rhubarb, and a touch of ginger? Look no further than these scrumptious Oaty Rhubarb Streusel Bars! Baked to a bubbly, golden brown and finished with a ginger icing, these bars are a perfect balance of flavors and textures. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress. Let’s dive in and discover how to make these delectable treats.
Rhubarb Crumble Bars
The Test Kitchen Experts Behind the Recipe
The Oaty Rhubarb Streusel Bars recipe comes to you from the Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen. With nearly 100 years of continuous operation, the Test Kitchen is dedicated to developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. Their team consists of culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, they test over 2,500 recipes, produce more than 2,500 food images, and create more than 1,000 food videos each year in their state-of-the-art test kitchen.
Ingredients and Preparation
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb
- 1 Ginger Icing (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- ¾ cup sifted powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons apricot nectar, orange juice, or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil, making sure to extend it beyond the pan edges.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, 1 cup of flour, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside 1 cup of the oats mixture. Press the remaining mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and ground ginger. Add the rhubarb and toss to coat.
- Spread the rhubarb mixture on top of the hot crust. Sprinkle the reserved oats mixture over the rhubarb and press lightly.
- Bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow the bars to cool on a rack. Once cooled, drizzle the ginger icing over the top and sprinkle with finely chopped crystallized ginger if desired.
- Lift the bars from the pan and cut them into individual servings.
- Store the bars, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Each serving of these Oaty Rhubarb Streusel Bars provides a delightful combination of flavors and some nutritional value as well. Here’s a breakdown of the approximate nutritional information per serving:
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin C: 1.8mg
- Calcium: 20.2mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Potassium: 99mg
It’s important to note that these values may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients and brands used. The % Daily Value (DV) indicates how much a nutrient in a serving contributes to a daily diet. The values are based on a 2,000-calorie daily intake, and individual calorie needs may vary.
The Oaty Rhubarb Streusel Bars are a delightful dessert option that combines the wholesome goodness of oats, the tangy flavor of rhubarb, and a hint of ginger. Whether you’re hosting a gathering, planning a family treat, or simply satisfying your sweet tooth, these bars are a winner. The recipe, provided by the Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen, ensures a reliable and enjoyable baking experience.
So, why not give these Oaty Rhubarb Streusel Bars a try? With simple ingredients, clear instructions, and a delicious outcome, you’ll be rewarded with a batch of mouthwatering treats that everyone will love. Enjoy the perfect blend of textures and flavors as you savor each bite of these delightful bars!