If you’re a fan of nuts and enjoy a delightful combination of sweet and spicy flavors, then this Sweet-and-Hot Nuts recipe is for you. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply looking for a tasty snack, this easy-to-make recipe will surely spice up your palate. Developed and tested by the Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen, known for its practical and reliable recipes, these nuts are a treat you can enjoy at home.
- 1 cup whole cashews
- 1 cup whole almonds, toasted*
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted*
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed*
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the nuts in a 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, melted butter, ginger, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the slow cooker with the nuts and toss until the nuts are evenly coated.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on the low-heat setting for 2 hours, stirring once after the first hour.
- After 2 hours, stir the nuts again and spread them in a single layer on a buttered foil.
- Allow the nuts to cool for at least 1 hour. Note that the nuts may appear soft after cooking but will crisp up during the cooling process.
- Store the Sweet-and-Hot Nuts in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
Toasting the nuts before using them in this recipe adds depth and enhances their flavor. Here’s how you can toast different types of nuts:
- Spread the nuts in a single layer on a shallow baking pan.
- Bake them in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until they turn a light golden brown. Make sure to watch them carefully and stir once or twice during the toasting process.
- If you’re using hazelnuts and want to remove the papery skin, rub the nuts with a clean dish towel after toasting.
This recipe makes approximately 22 servings. Here’s the nutritional breakdown per serving:
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SPICY CANDIED NUTS!
- Calories: 147
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Sodium: 73mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 8g
- Protein: 3g
Please note that these values are approximate and can vary based on the specific ingredients you use.
With its blend of sweetness, spices, and the richness of various nuts, this Sweet-and-Hot Nuts recipe is a flavorful snack that will surely impress your taste buds. Easy to prepare and perfect for gatherings or personal enjoyment, these nuts make a great addition to any occasion. Enjoy the combination of textures and flavors as you savor each crunchy bite. Make a batch today and experience the delightful taste of this sweet and spicy treat!