- Line an 8×11-inch baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing ends to hang over the sides. Place 1 sheet wafer paper in the bottom of the lined dish. Place almonds and pistachios in a warm place to make them easier to mix in at the end.
- Pour honey into a heavy-bottomed pot. Add sugar. Cook over low heat with a spatula, stirring constantly, until mixture turns from grainy to silky and smooth, about 30 minutes. Remove the pot from heat.
- Place egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until whites form soft peaks, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the pot with honey mixture back on low heat. Gradually whisk 1/4 of the whipped egg whites into honey mixture; whisk in remaining egg whites in 3 more batches.
- Continue cooking over low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until mixture turns a brighter white and a ribbon of mixture on the surface does not immediately incorporate, about 40 minutes. You can add a few drops of mixture to a small bowl of ice cold water to test the consistency; ideally it should feel like soft clay.
- Whisk in lemon zest and vanilla. Add warm almonds and pistachios; stir to incorporate evenly. Transfer nougat mixture to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top with a clean, oiled spatula. Top nougat with remaining sheet wafer paper, shiny-side up. Lay plastic wrap over the top and press down evenly, tamping mixture down gently but firmly. Remove top plastic wrap.
- Allow nougat to sit at room temperature until cool, firm, and ready to cut, 1 or 2 hours.
- Lift the edges of overhanging plastic wrap to release nougat from the baking dish. Invert and remove plastic wrap from the bottom. Trim off the edges if plastic wrap is hard to remove. Cut torrone into 1-inch squares using a sharp serrated knife.
TipsIf you don’t have wafer paper (edible rice paper), you can spray the plastic wrap with vegetable oil. Some people use cornstarch, but I’m not a fan.
You are looking for information, articles, knowledge about the topic Torrone (Italian Nut and Nougat Confection) (Italian Nut and Nougat Confection) on internet, you do not find the information you need! Here are the best content compiled and compiled by the smartinvestplan.com team, along with other related topics such as: Recipe.
Related videos about Torrone (Italian Nut and Nougat Confection) (Italian Nut and Nougat Confection)